Monday, March 25, 2013

Brown Sugar Blondies

For those that know me it comes as no surprise when I say I hate to bake.  I hate the measuring and the mess and the TIME it takes to plop out each individual cookie and wait for each individual pan to bake (because if I'm gonna bake, I'm gonna bake the cookies one pan at a time so they come out just right.)  So.....when I came across this recipe for brown sugar blondies that (to me) taste better than chocolate chip (individually dropped, full of hassle, time suck) cookies <AHEM> I couldn't resist trying them.  I will NEVER make chocolate chip cookies the old fashioned way again.  For this post I made them with Easter colored M&Ms but you could use regular old chocolate chips too.  Enjoy!


Brown Sugar Blondies (adapted from therecipecritic.com)

1 c. white whole wheat flour (could use all purpose too)
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 T. vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/3 c. M&Ms (or chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside

Melt 1/3 c. butter.  Cool slightly.  In a separate bowl, add the butter to the brown sugar and mix well.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.

Add the flour mixture and mix well.  Mix in 2/3 c. M&Ms (or chocolate chips.)  Spread in a greased 9X9X2 inch pan.  Sprinkle remaining M&Ms (or chocolate chips) on the top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on top.  Cool and cut into 12 squares (unlike what I did here which was cut the cookies while they were still warm because I couldn't wait to show them to you!)

*This recipe can easily be doubled and made in a 9X13 pan.

Serves 12 (230 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

2 comments:

Six Sisters said...

Hi Shel, these brown sugar blondies look delicious! Thanks so much for putting them on MyRecipeMagic.com. -The Six Sisters

Shel said...

They are delicious and SO easy too!