Saturday, March 23, 2013

Chicken with Turkey Kielbasa Sausage


My husband and I are currently doing a 16 week candida (yeast) cleanse so we are very restricted on what we can eat.  One of the things we can't have right now is pork and, well, for this sausage lovin' girl that doesn't work out too well!  Enter Trader Joe's.  After searching other grocery stores (which will remain nameless) I found a turkey kielbasa that would work for us!  No cheese, no pork, no sugar etc.  So.....I could make this delicious recipe from skinnytaste.com that actually calls for andouille sausage (my stinking favorite sausage, by the way.)  I decided I could <kinda> achieve the same result by using kielbasa and adding a little crushed red pepper to spice things up.  A little nod to New Orleans, coming your way.  I think it worked and I hope you do too!  Of course, please feel free to use any sausage you choose and make it as spicy (or not) as you'd like!

Chicken with Turkey Kielbasa Sausage (adapted from skinnytaste.com)

8 bone-in, skin off chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
1 c. chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c. chopped celery
1 c. chicken broth
6 oz. turkey kielbasa, sliced 
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/4 c. chopped green onion

Place chicken pieces in slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.  Place onion, green pepper and celery on top and season with salt and pepper.  Pour in chicken broth.  Add kielbasa, bay leaf and crushed red pepper and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.  Garnish with green onion.  Serve with brown rice.

Serves 4 (297 calories each serving excluding brown rice) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: