Thursday, March 21, 2013

It is time

Well, friends, many have told me that I should start a cooking blog so, here we go!  I will share simple, delicious and (mostly) healthy recipes that I make and that you can make too.  It's not hard, I promise!  Today, a recipe for Braised Tarragon Chicken which I have adapted from williams-sonoma.com:

Braised Tarragon Chicken (adapted from williams-sonoma.com)


8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin off
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 t. olive oil
3 large leeks, sliced and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chicken broth
2 T. dried tarragon
1/4 c. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 T. fresh lemon juice
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths

Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in a large saute pan and brown chicken thighs, in batches if necessary.  Place chicken thighs in slow cooker.  To the same pan add the leeks and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.  Add chicken broth to release pan drippings and pour on top of the chicken.  Add tarragon, parsley, lemon juice and carrots to the slow cooker and cook on high about 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve with brown rice or mashed potatoes.  

Serves 4 (312 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

Oh, you want a healthy mashed potato recipe too?  Twist my arm.

Mashed Potatoes

2 lb. yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
Salt and pepper to taste (Trust me when I say potatoes need a lot of salt.  Get over it and salt those babies!)
2T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2- 3/4 c. chicken broth
2 T.  fresh chives 

Cook potatoes in boiling water until fork tender.  Drain and place back in pot.  Add salt (enough salt please!), pepper, olive oil, chicken broth and chives.  Blend with hand mixer and taste.  Adjust seasonings as necessary (don't forget the salt!)  

Serves 4 (167 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

2 comments:

Brenda said...

How many servings & calories is this?

Brenda said...

Calories for the tarragon chicken too please.