Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mexican Rice

I am really picky about Mexican rice.  I usually don't eat it in restaurants because it's too bland for me.  This, however, is one of the best I've ever tasted!  It is easy and flavorful.  Try it next time you make tacos or enchiladas!

Mexican Rice (adapted from seeaimeecook.blogspot.com)

2 c. brown rice
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 lime, juiced (about 1 T. lime juice)
1 T. cumin
Salt to taste
3/4 c. cilantro, chopped

Cook brown rice according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook onions and garlic in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.  Stir in tomato paste, lime juice, cumin and 1t. salt and stir to combine.  Add tomato mixture to the cooked rice along with the cilantro.  Taste and season with more salt if desired. 

This can be made ahead and reheated.

4 servings (215 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: