Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer Fruit with Wine and Mint

Let me start out by saying, I do not like cantaloupe.  There has just always been something about it that does not appeal to me.  I don't know if it's the flavor or the texture, or what.  HOWEVER, when you marinate cantaloupe with wine and mint, I suddenly become a big fan!  You can pretty much hand me anything marinated in wine and I would like it.  Old shoe, anyone?  Enjoy this delicious and easy summer fruit salad that is a fantastic twist on an old favorite!

Summer Fruit with Wine and Mint (Giada DeLaurentiis)

1 1/4 c. dry white wine
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 ripe cantaloupe, halved, seeded and cut into 3/4" cubes
8 oz. fresh strawberries, quartered
1 c. seedless green grapes, halved lengthwise
1 T. chopped fresh mint leaves

Bring the wine and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat.

Combine the chopped cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes and mint in a large bowl.  Pour the warm wine mixture over and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours.  

6 servings (144 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com)

No comments: