Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sesame Orange Chicken

This is a quick dish to put together and the flavors are SO good!  I made the sauce the night before and kept it in my fridge but you could also put the whole thing together the night before and just turn on the crock pot in the morning when you are ready to leave.  Serve with jasmine or brown rice and you have dinner!

Sesame Orange Chicken (adapted from therecipecritic.com)

12 bone in, skin off chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
2/3 c. honey bbq sauce (I used KC Masterpiece)
2/3 c. orange marmalade
2 T. orange juice
1/4 c. + 2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 t. dried ginger
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. sesame oil
2 T. all purpose flour
2 T. sesame seeds

Place the chicken thighs in a 6 quart crock pot and season with salt and pepper.  You will have to stack them on top of each other.  Season each chicken thigh with salt and pepper.  In a large bowl, combine the bbq sauce, orange marmalade, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame oil and whisk to combine.  Pour over the chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.  When the chicken is done, remove it from the crock pot.  Remove one cup of the liquid and add the flour to it.  Whisk to combine (this will thicken the sauce.)  Add the sauce back to the crock pot, straining it through a mesh sieve to catch any pieces of flour that didn't break down.  Allow the sauce to thicken for a few minutes and then top the chicken with the sauce.  Garnish with sesame seeds and serve!

6 servings, 2 thighs each serving (409 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems like a high calorie dish, but it really isn't. I'm anxious to try this one out this week. Thanks! I really don't even know what marmalade is. Is that jelly? I'll find it at the grocery store, with help if I have to. - Courtney T

Anonymous said...

Shelley, could the sauce be made in advance in large quantities and frozen, and then could you dump the frozen sauce in a crockpot with the thighs when you were ready to make the dish? I'm thinking this is something I could make up a lot of in advance and it would be an easy crockpot recipe. - Courtney T

Shel said...

Hey Courtney! I'm so sorry, I just saw this! Marmalade is like jelly, yes and I definitely think this would work in the freezer! Hope you liked it if you've already made it. :)