Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pumpkin Blondies

Oh my goodness have I got a fantastic fall recipe for you today!  I made these for the teachers at my son's preschool and they went nuts for them!  Although I wouldn't necessarily call these blondies (to me blondies are more cookie like and this was more like a dense cake consistency) I don't care what you call them because they are so stinkin' good.  In fact, yesterday I called two of  them lunch!  Ha!  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Blondies (adapted from mybakingaddiction.com)

2 1/3 c. white whole wheat flour (can also use all purpose)
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. kosher salt
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
2 t. vanilla extract
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and set aside.  In a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) combine the butter and sugars.  Beat on medium speed (with a hand mixer or stand mixer) until smooth.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium speed until combined.  Beat in pumpkin puree until smooth.  If the mixture looks curdles, don't worry!!!

Reduce speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients (I did mine in 3 batches).  Mix until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.  Cool completely before cutting.

24 servings (235 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: