Saturday, December 14, 2013

Penne with Tomato Blue Cheese Sauce

I almost didn't post this recipe this week.  See, it has blue cheese and I already posted this blue cheese focused recipe on Thursday.  BUT, here's my justification, that recipe included meat and this one doesn't AND I love blue cheese.  Do I need to say more?  I never would have thought about putting blue cheese in pasta but I'm sure glad the Pioneer Woman did!  This is adapted from her recipe and it is so, so good!  Enjoy!

Penne with Tomato Blue Cheese Sauce (adapted from tastykitchen.com)

1 lb. penne pasta (or other short pasta of your choice)
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt 
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 c. blue cheese crumbles
3/4 c. fat free half and half
5 oz. baby spinach
Extra blue cheese crumbles for serving, if desired (and, may I say, it is desired!)

Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.  In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil.  When hot add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Pour in the tomatoes and add the sugar, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.  Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Reduce the heat to low and stir in the blue cheese.  Add the half and half and stir to combine.  Cook for a minute or two then taste for salt and pepper and add more, if desired.  Just before serving add in the spinach and immediately toss with the cooked pasta. 

6 servings (424 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: