Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Beef Tibs (Ethiopian Beef)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I really like to adapt recipes to my way of cooking but keep the flavors as authentic as possible.  This recipe is a great example of that!  Typically, Ethiopian beef tibs are made on the stovetop but I have adapted this recipe for the crock pot!  It is really very simple and can be made with everyday ingredients.  This recipe (like the lentils I posted yesterday) also contains berbere (Ethiopian chili powder) but if you don't have it just use regular chili powder.  It won't be exactly the same but you'll get the idea.  It's also important to point out that Ethiopians eat their food with a spongy bread called injera which is made from a grain called teff (which is now being hailed as the new superfood.)  It tastes a little bit like sourdough bread and has the consistency of a thick crepe.  For some it is an acquired taste but it really enhances the spices used in the food!  Just tear off a piece and pick up a bite.  It really is a fun (and messy) way to eat!  Making injera is a days long process so I always buy mine at a local Ethiopian store.  I can get eight large pieces for about five bucks!  Totally worth it.  Enjoy!

Beef Tibs (Ethiopia Beef) - (adapted from cookingchanneltv.com)

1 lb. beef stew meat
1 T. berbere (or chili powder)
1 T. salt
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
Injera, for serving (if desired)

Combine the beef and berbere (or chili powder) in a 4 qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray and stir to fully coat the beef.  Add the salt, tomatoes, onion and jalapenos and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Serve with injera.

Feeding a crowd?  Just double or even triple the recipe and use a 6 qt. slow cooker!

4 servings (166 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com














2 comments:

Doug said...

Thank you for the recipe! Tasted great served with injera. I modified it slightly by adding minced garlic and ginger. I also sautéed the meat, onions, jalapeños, garlic, ginger and berbere before adding to the slow cooker.

Shel said...

I am glad to hear you liked it. Thanks for the comment!