Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mexican Sour Cream Rice

In my quest for new sides to go with Mexican food, I have found a new favorite!  This side dish is quick, easy, can be made ahead and is oh so delicious!  I made this for Super Bowl Sunday to go with a taco bar.  I put the whole thing together the night before, let it come to room temperature and baked it off before my guests arrived!  I also doubled this recipe for a crowd and it came out great!  I hope you like it.  We did!

Mexican Sour Cream Rice (adapted from brooke-cookiejar.blogspot.com)

1 cup instant brown rice
1 c. low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 t. salt, divided
1 c. light sour cream 
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese, divided (I used Velveeta pepper jack shreds)
1 1/2 c. frozen corn, steamed (I used Trader Joe's fire roasted corn)
2 T. cilantro, chopped
1/4 t. pepper

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.  Place the rice, chicken broth and 1/2 t. salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Leave the pot covered, turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes.  When the rice is done add the sour cream, green chiles, 1/2 c. cheese, corn, cilantro, pepper and remaining 1/2 t. salt  and pour into the prepared baking dish.  Top with the remaining 1/2 c. cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and brown.  

6 servings (198 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: