Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Creamy Poblano Pepper Strips

Today, I have an extremely versatile Taco Tuesday recipe for you.  I made this as a side dish to go with tacos but, as I was eating it, (and watching my husband pile it on his tacos) I thought "well, that's a great idea!" (He comes up with them every now and then!)  This could easily be a vegetarian taco filling!  Just add a little salsa and cilantro!  No matter how you eat it, it's goooood!  Enjoy!

Creamy Poblano Pepper Strips (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

6 fresh poblano peppers
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
2 c. frozen corn (I used Trader Joe's fire roasted corn)
1/4 c. fat free half and half
1/4 c. light sour cream
1/2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
1 t. salt 
1/2 t. black pepper

Char the poblano peppers directly over the gas flame on the stove top or under the broiler until blackened on all sides.  (I don't have a gas stove so I used my broiler.  Place the oven rack on the top rung and place the peppers right on the rack.  Turn with tongs every 3-4 minutes until blackened on all sides.  Keep a close eye on them!)  Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with a lid or plastic wrap and let them steam for about 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, peel and seed the peppers and cut into 1/4 to 1/2" strips.  Set aside.

Add the oil to a large heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the corn and cook for an additional 3 minutes.  Add the sliced peppers and cook 5 more minutes.  Add the half and half and sour cream and cook until bubbling, about 8 more minutes.  Add the cheese and stir until melted and smooth.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.

6 side dish servings (176 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: