Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Spanish Rice

It's back to basics for taco Tuesday this week!  I have had this recipe for Spanish rice in my recipe box since I got married.  I have no idea where it came from but it is delicious and easy to make and the perfect accompaniment to anything Mexican you are making!  It also makes a TON so you can feed a crowd!  I hope you enjoy!

Spanish Rice


1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. white rice
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 t. salt

Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.  Add the rice and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the rice is slightly browned.  Pour in the tomatoes and cook for about a minute until the liquid from the tomatoes evaporates.  Add the chicken broth and salt, turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the rice is cooked through and all the liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.

8 servings (156 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: