Friday, April 25, 2014

Veggie Pad Thai

As you know from this post, I love pad thai.  So, when I found a vegetarian version in my new Every Day With Rachael Ray magazine I knew I had to try it.  The funny thing was, as I read down through the recipe I noticed the dish contained fish sauce!  Um, that's not vegetarian!  I think what you are really looking for in the fish sauce is a salty element so if you want this to be truly vegetarian I would sub in low sodium soy sauce.  I had the fish sauce on hand (and I'm not a vegetarian) so I used it.  I like the addition of balsamic vinegar because it gives the dish a bit of a sweet tart punch too!  Enjoy!

Veggie Pad Thai (adapted from Every Day With Rachael Ray, May 2014)

1/4 c. light brown sugar
2 T. balsamic vinegar
5 t. fish sauce (or low sodium soy sauce)
2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
8 oz. flat rice noodles 
1 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 (14 oz.) container extra-firm tofu, drained and diced
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz. snow peas, ends trimmed
1/4 c. peanuts, chopped

In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and lime juice.  Set aside.

Prepare the noodles according to the package directions.  Drain and set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 t. olive oil over medium high heat until it shimmers.  Add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.  Transfer the tofu to a plate. 

Add the beaten eggs and cook, stirring gently, until set, about 45 seconds.  Transfer the eggs to the plate with the tofu.

In the same skillet heat the remaining 1 1/2 t. olive oil over high heat.  Add the noodles and snow peas and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.  Add the brown sugar mixture and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.  Add the tofu and eggs back to the pan and cook until heated through, about 30 seconds.  Divide among bowls and top with peanuts.  

4 servings (493 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: