Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Salad

Do you ever have a craving that just won't let go?  This was me last week with chicken wings.  I wanted them so bad!  I knew there had to be a way to have them without eating all of that fried, crispy goodness.  So, I created a salad.  Now, before you click away from my page, rolling your eyes and thinking, "how can a salad possibly be as good as a chicken wing?" let me explain.  I cooked chicken in the crock pot with some hot sauce then shredded it and put it on top of a salad with celery, carrots, tomatoes and the most delicious, low cal, blue cheese dressing on the planet (you might remember the dressing from this post.)  No, it's not a chicken wing but it's a great alternative and it did satisfy my craving!  I separated my salads into four separate containers for lunches (keeping the dressing separate from the salad) but you can also mix it all together in one big bowl for four people as a light lunch or dinner!  Enjoy!

Buffalo Chicken Salad

For the salad:

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. hot sauce (I used Frank's) 
20 oz. mixed greens
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced

For the dressing:

1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese
6 oz. nonfat Greek yogurt
1 T. light mayonnaise
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. white wine vinegar
1/8 t. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste


For the salad:

Place the chicken in a 4 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Season with salt and pepper and pour the hot sauce on top.  Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Shred the chicken and allow to cool.  In a large bowl (or in 4 separate portable containers if you're making these for lunches) place the mixed greens, tomatoes, celery, carrots and cooled chicken.  Set aside while you make the dressing.

For the dressing:

In a medium bowl place all the ingredients and stir to combine.  Pour the dressing over the salad (or place in 4 separate small containers if you are making these for lunches), toss and serve!

4 servings (302 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: