Friday, May 30, 2014

Crock Pot Cashew Chicken

If you've followed this blog for any length of time you know three things:  I love Chinese food, I love my crock pot and I already posted this recipe for Cashew Chicken.  Because of that I debated (for about 30 seconds) if I should go ahead and post this recipe for Crock Pot Cashew Chicken.  I am and you're welcome!  The original recipe I found only included the chicken but I threw veggies in the crock pot too.  Just pick any veggies that you like!  The ones I used are just suggestions.  Just put everything in the crock pot (you can even prepare it ahead), let it cook all day then make some rice just before you eat and dinner is done!

Crock Pot Cashew Chicken (adapted from sixsistersstuff.com) 

2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
2 T. cornstarch (or flour)
3 celery stalks, sliced
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 (8 oz.) can bamboo shoots, drained
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. ketchup
2 T. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 c. cashews

Place the chicken in a 6 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle the cornstarch (or flour) on top of the chicken and toss to combine, making sure all the chicken is coated in cornstarch (or flour.)  Add the celery, carrots, red pepper, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.  In a medium bowl whisk together the black pepper, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper.  Pour the sauce over the chicken, stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Sprinkle with cashews and serve over rice!

6 servings (338 calories each serving not including rice) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: