Thursday, May 15, 2014

Firecracker Chicken

As promised, here is the delectable recipe for Firecracker Chicken I made the other night.  Folks, I just can't tell you how much I loved this dish!  See, Chinese food is something I crave but I also know that restaurant Chinese is not the best thing I can eat.  Full of MSG and, a lot of times, sugar, it's just not a healthy choice!  So, when I find a recipe I can make at home that is delicious I am so happy!  The original recipe for this chicken called for one cup of brown sugar.  I have a problem with putting one cup of brown sugar in my dinner.  I reduced the amount by half and it was plenty!  I served this with Sesame Broccoli for a complete meal!  Enjoy!

Firecracker Chicken (adapted from melskitchencafe.com)

2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c. hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 T. water
2 t. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. white rice, cooked according to package directions for serving

Place the chicken pieces in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Add the cornstarch and toss to combine, making sure all of the chicken is coated in cornstarch.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the chicken.  Reduce the heat to medium high and saute the chicken, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is lightly browned, about 7-10 minutes.  In the meantime, whisk together the hot sauce, brown sugar, water, apple cider vinegar and salt.  When the chicken is done pour the sauce into the pan, reduce the heat to medium and simmer the chicken in the sauce for another 5-7 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens.  Serve the chicken over the rice!

6 servings (444 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: