Monday, May 19, 2014

Whipped Ricotta Salad

If you are looking for an exciting new twist to your salad I have one for you today!  I saw Giada DeLaurentiis make this on her Food Network show a few weeks ago and I sat there thinking "I MUST have this salad!"  So, when we decided to grill steaks for dinner on mother's day I knew what I had to make to go with them.  One bite and I was hooked.  I almost didn't even need the steak.  Almost.  Enjoy!

Whipped Ricotta Salad (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

For the whipped ricotta:

1 c. whole milk ricotta cheese
2 t. extra virgin olive oil
1/8 t. salt

For the dressing:

1 c. fresh basil leaves
2 T. toasted pine nuts
2 T. sherry vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
3 T. extra virgin olive oil

For the salad:

1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
18 sugar snap peas, halved
3 c. baby arugula

For the whipped ricotta:

Place the ricotta, olive oil and salt in a food processor.  Blend until light and smooth (about 30 seconds.)  Remove to a bowl and set aside.

For the dressing:

Place the basil, pine nuts, vinegar, salt and crushed red pepper in a food processor.  With the motor running drizzle in the olive oil to form a smooth dressing.  Set aside.

For the salad:

Spread the ricotta on the bottom of a platter.  Toss the tomatoes, snap peas and baby arugula with the dressing in a large bowl and place on top of the ricotta leaving some of the cheese exposed around the edges.  Serve. 

4 servings (274 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: