Thursday, June 12, 2014

Reese's Cheesecake Brownies

Reese's. Cheesecake. Brownies.  That's like three of my favorite things.  ALL IN ONE RECIPE!  I have found the holy grail of desserts folks!  I am a BIG fan of Reese's peanut butter cups.  In fact, when I was little, I had a lot of ear problems which landed me at the doctor's office a lot.  One thing I remember is my mom or dad (whoever happened to be taking me to my appointment) would take me to the pharmacy in the doctor's building and buy me a Reese's peanut butter cup after my appointment was over.  Fond memories of a not so fun time!  There is just something about chocolate and peanut butter that makes everything right with the world!  This is a great recipe for summer gatherings!  Enjoy!

Reese's Cheesecake Brownies (adapted from pipandebby.com)

1 (20 oz.) box fudge brownie mix (*see note)
1 (8 oz.) package light cream cheese, room temperature
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 (12 oz.) bag semisweet chocolate chips
3 T. fat free half and half
12 regular sized Reese's peanut butter cups, chopped (yes, 12.  Just do it.)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.  Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions.  *Note:  To cut down on a few calories I used 1/3 c. applesauce and 1/3 c. oil for the oil portion and 2 T. ground flax seed + 2 T. water for the egg portion.  I also used the water that was called for on the back of the box.  This is totally optional but it does save on a few calories.  Spread the brownie mixture evenly in the prepared pan and set aside.  In a large bowl beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until fluffy.  Add the condensed milk and peanut butter and beat until smooth.  Spoon the mixture over the batter and spread evenly.  

Bake for 40 minutes or until the cheesecake layer is set and the edges are golden brown.  Cool for 30 minutes then refrigerate an additional 30 minutes.  

In a sauce pan melt the chocolate chips with the half and half over low heat.  Stir until smooth then spread over the the cheesecake layer.  Sprinkle the top with the Reese's peanut butter cups.  Store covered in the fridge.  

24 servings (344 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: