Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ricotta and Cinnamon Meatballs

So many times when I think of appetizers I think I'd like to make something more traditional (meatballs) but with a twist (cinnamon and ricotta.)  This is a great example of that!  It's the meatballs we all know and love and the flavors are phenomenal!  The other really cool thing about this meatball recipe is one of the binders used is orzo pasta.  If you don't know what orzo is, it's a rice shaped pasta that cooks really fast and makes delicious salads.  In this recipe the orzo is added to the meatball mixture raw and cooks right in the sauce!  A few weeks ago I hosted my book club and this is one of the things I served.  I made them in the morning and then put them in the crock pot on keep warm all day.  They held up great and it helped me avoid the rush to finish food prep right before everyone got there.  I served the leftovers the next day on pasta with red sauce!  Enjoy!

Ricotta and Cinnamon Meatballs (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

2 small shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 lb. 96% lean ground beef
3/4 c. low fat ricotta cheese
1/4 c. orzo pasta
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 (24 oz.) jar marinara sauce (I used tomato basil)

In a medium bowl whisk together the shallots, garlic, egg, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Stir in the ground beef, ricotta cheese, orzo pasta, basil, salt and pepper and set aside.  In a large shallow skillet bring the marinara sauce to a simmer.  Form the meat mixture into balls (I used a 1 T. scoop) and place them in the marinara sauce.  Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.  

Makes 36 meatballs (44 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: