Friday, July 18, 2014

Honey Chicken

Last November my whole family took a trip to Walt Disney World, courtesy of my sweet mom.  She is a dear lady.  While we were there we had the opportunity to visit all four of the theme parks and enjoyed a really great time together as a family.  One of my favorite stops (as far as eating is concerned) was Yak and Yeti (hilarious, I know) at Animal Kingdom.  I had the most amazing honey chicken there!  In fact, my mouth is watering right now as I type this!  When I got home I knew I had to find a recipe to make at home so I did!  Now, my version is not fried like the deliciousness I had at Animal Kingdom but it is a healthier version of what I had there and one I'm not ashamed to make again and again.  I hope you like it too!

Honey Chicken (adapted from heartmindandseoul.com)

2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 t. dried ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. honey
1 t. rice wine vinegar (can also use apple cider vinegar)
1/4 c. water or chicken broth

Place the chicken in a medium bowl and toss to coat with the cornstarch and 1/2 t. salt.  In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the coated chicken and saute until the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned.  While the chicken is cooking add the ginger, garlic, salt, honey, vinegar and water or chicken broth to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.  Once the chicken is cooked add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat.  Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken for 3-4 minutes then serve the chicken over rice (I used white rice.)  If you want a side dish try my Chinese Style Snow Pea and Carrot Saute!

6 servings (260 calories, not including rice) according to my calculator on loseit.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Shel! I am making it for dinner right now! - Amber