Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Korean Beef Bowl

Have you ever had Korean beef?  I have an easy crock pot version (including homemade kimchi) here but when I came across this Korean beef bowl using ground beef, I knew I had to give it a try.  All the flavors of Korean beef right here in one bowl and in no time flat!  Now, admittedly, this is not a particularly low cal dish because I used 80% lean ground beef.  You could totally use leaner beef if you want to but you need some of the fat to make it really tasty so I wouldn't use anything leaner than 90% lean.  As a matter of fact, just don't make it very often and use the 80%!  That's all the advice I have today!

Korean Beef Bowl (adapted from damndelicious.net)

1/3 c. brown sugar
6 T. low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 T. sesame oil
3/4 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 t. ground ginger
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 lb. (80% lean) ground beef
3 green onions, sliced
1 1/2 c. white rice, cooked according to package directions (for serving)

In a medium bowl place the brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, ginger and garlic and whisk to combine.  Place the beef in a large nonstick skillet and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until cooked through.  Drain any excess fat.  Add the sauce and green onions to the pan and continue cooking for 2 minutes.  Serve over rice.

6 servings (560 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: