Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

There are some dishes that take you back to your childhood and this, my friends, is one of them.  I definitely remember my mom making a version of this when I was growing up but I'm pretty sure she didn't use my favorite cooking utensil, THE CROCK POT!  This is especially delicious in the crock pot because all the flavors meld together all day and the beef becomes so stinkin' tender!  I served this over egg noodles but you could serve it over rice or even mashed potatoes.  Maybe this is comfort food but winter is coming so let's get started now, shall we?!

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak (adapted from kitchme.com)

2 lb. beef stew meat
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 c. beef broth
1 T. cornstarch
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 large green peppers, sliced
1 (14 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, not drained
3 T. low sodium soy sauce (could also use Worcestershire sauce if preferred)
1 t. salt

Place the beef in the bottom of a 6 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray and season with the garlic powder.  Toss to coat the meat.  In a small bowl whisk together the beef broth and cornstarch then pour over the meat.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir together to combine.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Serve over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

6 servings (212 calories each serving not including egg noodles) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: