Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Is it possible for pasta to change your life?  I'm pretty sure mine changed when I tasted this pasta.  Now, we're all familiar with my love for Mexican food but do we know of my love for pasta?  Yes, I think that's well documented too.  What happens when my love for Mexican food and my love for pasta combine?  My culinary brain explodes, that's what!!!!!  This pasta tastes EXACTLY like chicken enchiladas but......PASTA!  I can't even explain the goodness.  You need to make this soon!

Chicken Enchilada Pasta (adapted from therecipecritic.com)

1 lb. penne pasta
1 T. olive oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1/2 t. salt
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 (19 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
2/3 c. salsa (I used Herdez)
1 c. shredded colby/jack cheese
1/2 c. light sour cream

Toppings:
Sliced green onion
1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
2 roma tomatoes, diced

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain, pour back in the pot you cooked it in and set aside.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the diced chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, onion and red pepper and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies have started to caramelize, about 5-10 minutes more.  

Add the green chiles, salt, chili powder, cumin, enchilada sauce and salsa and heat through, about 5 minutes.  Pour the sauce over the pasta then add the cheese and sour cream and stir to combine.  Put the pasta in individual serving bowls and top with desired toppings (I used green onion, black olives and tomatoes.)

6 servings (574 calories each serving) according to my calculator on lose it.com)

No comments: