Wednesday, September 10, 2014

IKEA those are good meatballs! (Swedish Meatballs)

If you live in Kansas City you may have heard the hype......IKEA opens today!!!!!  A Swedish based company famous for their SWEDISH meatballs (and other things like furniture, apparently) is coming to our humble little town.  Well, I grew up eating Swedish meatballs (my dad was part Swedish) so I know how good they are.  Now, I've never had them at IKEA before because I've never been there (what?!) but this is the recipe I use when I make them and, let me tell you, they are the bomb!  You might want to stay away from the overwhelming crowds at IKEA for the first couple of weeks and just make these meatballs at home.  I'm sayin'.

Swedish Meatballs (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
1/2 c. fat free half and half, divided
3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 1/4 t. salt, divided
1 lb. ground beef (I used 93% lean)
1 lb. ground pork
1 large egg
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 c. all purpose flour
3 c. beef broth
12 oz. egg noodles, cooked according to package directions

Place the breadcrumbs and 1/4 c. of the half and half in a large mixing bowl and set aside.  In a large skillet heat 1 T. of the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and 1/4 t. of the salt.  Saute the onions for 5-7 minutes until soft.  Remove to a small bowl and set aside (you want the onions cool enough to add to the meatball mixture which you will make next so stick the bowl in the freezer while you gather the meatball ingredients if you want.)

To the bowl with the breadcrumbs and half and half add the ground beef, ground pork, egg, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg and remaining 1 t. salt.  Add the onions and mix with your hands until well combined but not over mixed.  You don't want to over mix or the meatballs will be tough!  

Heat the remaining 2 T. olive oil in the same skillet that you cooked the onions in over medium heat.  Make meatballs (I used my medium Pampered Chef scoop so they were even) and shape them so they will be round.  I got about 30 meatballs out of this mixture.  Add the meatballs to the pan and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 7-10 minutes.  Remove the meatballs to a plate using a slotted spoon.

Once the meatballs are cooked, decrease the heat to low and add the flour to the skillet.  Whisk until lightly browned, about 1 minute.  Gradually add the beef stock, whisking constantly until the sauce begins to thicken and is a smooth consistency.  Add the remaining 1/4 c. of half and half and continue cooking until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.  Add the meatballs back to the gravy to warm through and serve the meatballs and gravy over cooked egg noodles.

6 servings (655 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

I served this with my Oven Roasted Green Beans!

No comments: