Friday, September 12, 2014

Jalapeno Popper Dip

Some of you may remember this recipe for Smothered Jalapeno Popper Chicken that I posted a while back.  If you have not made it yet you really need to!  Anyway, over Labor day weekend I was trying to think of dip options to take to a friend's house for dinner and I thought about that chicken recipe.  I didn't necessarily want an appetizer with meat in it because we were having smoked brisket (can I get an amen?) for dinner.  So, I did my favorite thing.  I searched the internet!  I came up with this recipe and it was SO good (as evidenced by the picture below which shows a few hands ready to dive back in after I FINALLY got my cell phone picture.  Yes, I know I need to remember my camera!)  Anyway, I served this delectable appetizer with corn chips and Ritz crackers for dipping.  No, this is not a low cal dish.  No, this is not something I make all the time.  Yes, you should absolutely make it for your next football, baseball or basketball (is anyone else as excited about college basketball as me??!!) watch party!  Enjoy!

Jalapeno Popper Dip (adapted from simply-gourmet.com)

6 slices bacon, diced and cooked until crispy
3 (8 oz.) packages light cream cheese, softened
4 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced (use more if you like more heat)
1 1/2 c. shredded co/jack cheese
1/4 c. green onion, sliced
4 T. unsalted butter
1 1/2 oz. pork rinds
4 T. grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray an 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.  In a large bowl combine the bacon, cream cheese, jalapenos, shredded cheese and green onions and stir to combine.    Place the mixture in the prepared dish and smooth the top so it's even.

In a small sauce pan melt the butter.  Place the pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and melted butter in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Spread the mixture over the top of the dip in an even layer.  Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.

12 servings (205 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: