Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mexican Corn Casserole

Ah, the fond memories I have of Thanksgiving at my grandma's. She and my mom switched off hosting Thanksgiving each year, and when it was her turn to host I always spent the night with her to "help." I remember one year the woman BROKE HER ARM and still hosted Thanksgiving! She was truly amazing. I have no idea how much help I really was to my grandma, but I can tell you the memories I have of helping her are priceless! Tearing loaves of white bread and crumbling cornbread for stuffing. Grandma holding the turkey up on it's neck while I crammed it to the hilt with stuffing. Waking up at 6 am to place said turkey in the oven (because it had to roast a full 8 hours, you know!) Rolling out homemade cinnamon rolls on her kitchen table. Stuffing celery with jarred cheese (those jars made the best little juice glasses!) Mashing pounds and pounds of potatoes. Trying to release the jellied cranberry sauce onto the special "cranberry sauce" plate (it's sole purpose in life, my friends.) Baking homemade pies (pumpkin and chocolate with homemade crust.) And the corn casserole, oh my gosh the corn casserole. This casserole was by no means a culinary masterpiece, but it was familiar and warm and it always had a place at our Thanksgiving table. It was simple, really, with corn, Jiffy cornbread mix, eggs, sour cream and.....oh yes, slathered on top was cheddar cheese soup! I'm telling you, the woman was a genius.

The version I'm sharing with you today has those flavors, plus the added addition of chopped green chiles to give it a little Mexican flair. If corn casserole is on your Thanksgiving menu you could totally make it without the green chiles, or leave them in; they're not spicy and they give it such an interesting, almost smoky flavor. You won't find condensed cheddar cheese soup here, but shredded cheese is stirred into the batter and the sour cream (full fat in my grandma's version, of course) is replaced with plain yogurt and buttermilk. Same tang, far fewer calories. I can picture my grandma now in her galley-style kitchen doing dishes, singing in her soprano voice, talking to her parakeet, George, and being genuinely thankful to see every single person who came through the door. That is, after all, what Thanksgiving is all about, isn't it?

Mexican Corn Casserole (adapted from tasteofhome.com)

1 T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 large eggs
1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 oz.) can cream style corn
3/4 c. plain yogurt
1 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chiles
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. low fat shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 325.  Spray and 9X13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent but not browned, about 7-10 minutes. Place the onions in a small bowl and allow them to cool while you assemble the other ingredients.

In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add both cans of corn, yogurt, buttermilk, cornmeal, butter, green chiles, baking soda, salt, half the cheese and the cooled onions. Stir until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan then top with the remaining cheese.  Bake for 1 hour and let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

12 servings (269 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: