Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mexican Meatloaf

Cooking has always been a part of my life. In fact, my mom loves to tell the story of me pulling a chair up to the counter when I was about 5 years old to make pancakes. I got even more enthralled with cooking as an adult when I would come home from work, turn on Food Network to watch Cooking Live with Sara Moulton and 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray. During the prime time spot it was Emeril Live! My dad would watch Emeril LaGasse in the evenings, then call me to discuss the recipes and Emeril's blatant overuse of the word "Bam!" Anybody else?

During our engagement my husband (then fiancĂ©) and I bought our house, which he lived in while we fixed it up for me to join him there when we were married. Having registered for cookware, we didn't want to buy anything that might come later as gifts. So my mom gave us one of her old skillets and a saucepan (in 70s green) and they served me well for those several months. We didn't have a grill either, so one time I made hamburgers for 4 in my little skillet and I had to fry those babies up in shifts. Sweet memories! 

One thing I made a lot of during that time was meatloaf. I'd buy a packet of "meatloaf seasoning" at the grocery store, add it to ground beef along with an egg, bake and call it a day. Man I could really cook back then! Since then I have learned how easy it is to make my own meatloaf so I still make it quite frequently. Blending a love for Mexican flavors with hearty meatloaf sounds like an excellent mash-up, especially because this recipe is easy, versatile and you can tailor it to your families' tastes. It's also a great way to sneak veggies into the meal on the sly. I used roasted red peppers and carrots but you could use corn, shredded zucchini or even finely chopped spinach if you want. If you are feeling a bit more decadent, throw some shredded cheese in there too! Make it yours and make it now because you don't wanna be caught with meatloaf seasoning in your cupboard ever again!

Mexican Meatloaf (adapted from theskinnyfork.com)

1 (19.2 oz.) package ground turkey (I used 93/7)
1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 c. salsa (I used Herdez mild), divided
1 large egg white
1 t. onion powder
1/4 c. chopped roasted red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. taco seasoning
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9X5 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1/4 c. of the salsa for the top of the meatloaf. Press the meat mixture into the prepared loaf pan, top with the remaining salsa and bake for 55-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting. 

6 servings (177 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

For a more traditional spin on meatloaf check out my recipe for Turkey Meatloaf.

No comments: