Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cheesy Jalapeño Cornbread

What are your feelings about cornbread? Most people I know either love it or hate it. Growing up my mom used to make ham and beans with a side of cornbread, one of my dad's favorite meals. I, on the other hand, would be delighted if I never saw another bowl of ham and beans with a side of cornbread as long as I live. The dish just never had enough flavor for me and I was always left wanting more (probably salt or butter but who's keeping score?) So for me cornbread had been dismissed as bland and forgettable, relegated to the past, that is until now!

Allow me to introduce this flavor-packed, cheesy, salty, sweet cornbread recipe which I made as a companion to chili. It was so good that it earned a repeat performance this week. This recipe starts with a simple box of corn muffin mix and is dressed up with the addition of finely minced jalapeño, green chiles, shredded cheese, corn kernels for added texture and green onion. The perfect sidekick for chili or taco soup! If you are already a cornbread lover, prepare to meet your next favorite incarnation. If you are a cornbread skeptic, trust Shel when she says you will love this. I'm not gonna lie, I was wary until I took my first flavor-filled bite. Of course I'm skeptical about a lot of things, but cornbread is no longer on the list. Make it, try it, love it and win over the skeptical. Making this is the first step: "Hello, my name is Shel and I used to be a cornbread skeptic..." Oh, and I still served this cornbread with a pat of butter...because some things never change.

Cheesy Jalapeño Cornbread (adapted from theyummylife.com)

1 (8 1/2 oz.) package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
1/2 t. salt
1 c. lowfat buttermilk
2 T. vanilla almond milk (could use any milk or even water)
1 large egg
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1 c. frozen corn
1 jalapeño, finely minced
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 c. low fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat the oven to 400. Spray an 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl combine the corn muffin mix and salt and whisk together. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, milk or water and the egg. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Add the onions, corn, jalapeño, green chiles and cheese and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before cutting.

9 servings (190 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: