Thursday, January 8, 2015

Barbecue Turkey Chili

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking. (gasp) Yes, I know it may come as a shock to hear that someone who blogs about food gets tired of cooking but it happens. It's usually when I'm super busy or it's the holidays and I am DONE carting food to everyone and their dog's house. Yep, I get tired of cooking and I want something quick, easy and, for the love, something I can prepare with ingredients I already have on hand. This chili fits that bill and it's rich and flavorful to boot! A great twist on an old classic, this is barbecue chili because it contains barbecue sauce (hello, it's right there in the name) and smoked paprika which lends the smokiness (also right there in the name) you crave when you eat barbecue. Let's talk for a minute about smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is an extremely tasty spice but it must be used in moderation. When overused it can completely overpower your dish and give it a funky flavor. So my advice is, don't skip it and substitute regular paprika (because regular paprika lends no smokiness) but be sure you measure it because if you're anything like me you probably often use your palm to measure spices (a little trick I learned from Rachael Ray). The rest of the ingredients in this chili are pretty standard and can be mixed and matched however you like. Don't have roasted red peppers (a great addition, may I add) use extra tomatoes! Only have kidney beans? No problem! Use whatever onion you have on hand (I think I actually used green the day I made this); a touch of garlic powder if you're out of fresh; ground chicken or beef instead of turkey...you get the idea. I think I might make this again this week because I'm still feeling rather burnt out from the holiday season. Have I mentioned I haven't put my Christmas decorations away yet? Sigh.

Barbecue Turkey Chili (adapted from skinnytaste.com)

1 T. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. smoked paprika
1 T. + 2 t. chili powder
1 T. cumin
1/2 t. pepper
2 t. salt
1 t. crushed red pepper
1 (19.2 oz.) package ground turkey (I used 93/7)
1 (12 oz.) jar roasted red peppers in water, drained and chopped
1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 c. barbecue sauce
1/2 c. shredded cheese for garnish, if desired
1/2 c. chopped cilantro for garnish, if desired

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, crushed red pepper and turkey. Cook, stirring frequently until the turkey is crumbled and cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.

Add the red peppers, beans, broth, tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on medium low for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, taste and add more salt if desired. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve garnished with cheese and cilantro if desired.

8 servings (291 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: