Monday, January 5, 2015

Cheddar Beer Soup

Happy new year, friends! I hope you all had a joyful holiday season and a little bit of time to relax. It's the new year so everyone is talking about salads and exercise again. Everyone but me, that is. I believe in the philosophy of "all things in moderation" so today I bring you a "moderately healthy" cheddar beer soup. This soup is so good that I made it in Omaha at my friend's house on new year's day, then again the next day at home. In Omaha we served it with sliced "everything" bread (like an "everything" bagel with sesame seeds, poppy seeds and garlic on top) and at home I served it with pretzel buns. Both were equally delicious and highly recommended for dunking. 

Now cheddar beer soup is probably not something that comes to mind when you think of healthy eating, but I assure you I have lightened this up as much as I possibly can by subbing 1% milk for the heavy cream and using light cream cheese instead of full fat. I used Tallgrass Brewing Company Pub Ale for this soup because I love the rich but mild flavor. Please, for the love of all things culinarily sound, use a decent craft beer. This soup comes together in a snap, requires minimal chopping, tastes divine AND it looks so cute in my new soup bowls! You should just go ahead and make a double batch so you don't have to make it two days in a row like I did. 

Cheddar Beer Soup (adapted from ljworld.com)

3 T. unsalted butter, divided
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1 small red bell pepper, finely diced (any bell pepper will do)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. all purpose flour
1/2 t. dried thyme
1 t. dried parlsey
1 c. wheat ale or pale ale beer
4 oz. light cream cheese
3 c. 1% milk
2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. hot sauce (I used Frank's)
8 oz. shredded white or yellow cheddar cheese (I have used both yellow and white and both are equally delicious)

In a medium soup pot melt 1 T. of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter, flour, thyme and parsley and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the beer in small increments, mixing smooth after each addition. Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and add to the pot. Mash and stir the cream cheese until it is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Gradually add the milk to the pot mixing smooth after each addition. Add the salt, pepper and hot sauce and heat the soup over low heat until very warm. Do not let the soup boil or get too warm or it will burn and you will be sad. Add the shredded cheese in 3 additions, stirring until smooth after each addition. Keep the soup warm over low heat until ready to serve.

5 servings (362 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: