Monday, January 12, 2015

Cheesy Drop Biscuits

I had a light bulb moment the other day. My mom invited me and the boys over for soup but said "I don't have any bread to go with it, though." It was too stinkin' cold to go to the grocery store for bread, so I started to think how I could remedy this situation (I mean, soup without bread? That's like Lucy without Ricky or Ozzie without Harriet!) It came to me in a flash: drop biscuits! I mixed up a batch in one bowl (amen!) and carted it over to my mom's to bake!

Since we're knee deep in soup weather and that's ALL I could seem to post about last week I thought you might need this sweet little drop biscuit recipe to go with all-the-soup. You probably already have all the necessary ingredients since the recipe easily accommodates what you have on hand, and they come together in a snap. I made these with a mixture of all-purpose and white whole wheat flour because I like the lightness the all-purpose flour brings to the party and the texture contributed by the white whole wheat flour. If you were to choose just one flour I'd go with all-purpose because the white whole wheat will make these too dense like a hockey puck. No one should have to eat a hockey puck. I used a combination of mostly sharp cheddar with a sprinkling of Swiss and mozzarella cheese but any shredded cheese you have on hand will work (I cleaned out my cheese drawer after the holiday cheese rush). Mix them together, bloop them out on a well-greased sheet pan (no rolling pin necessary!) and you have a tasty little biscuit to go with soup, salad or even biscuits and gravy. A versatile vehicle that delivers those delicious carbs - one of my favorite things! I can't believe I haven't shared them before now, and for that you have my deepest apologies. Now go forth and make biscuits.

Cheesy Drop Biscuits (adapted from epicurious.com)

1 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 c. white whole wheat flour 
2 t. sugar
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
6 T. cold unsalted butter, but into 1/2" chunks
6 oz. grated cheese (whatever you have on hand!)
1 T. dried chives (if you have fresh on hand great! You could also cut up a couple of green onions if you want.)
1 c. buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk so I mixed 1 T. white vinegar with 1 c. 1% milk and subbed that in for the buttermilk)

Preheat the oven to 450. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the butter and blend with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cheddar, chives and buttermilk and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until combined. The mixture will be thick. Drop dough into 15 even mounds on a well greased baking sheet, flatten slightly with your hands and bake for 12 minutes. Serve warm!

15 biscuits (145 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: