Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Chickpea Curry with Coconut Rice

I am always looking for new and exciting ways to eat curry, so when I found this vegetarian version I knew it was my next stop in Curry-land (yes, it's an actual place). Chickpeas, red bell pepper and snow peas over coconut jasmine rice are the main components in this recipe. Thai red curry paste provides the spice and authentic flavor you’re looking for, located in the grocery store's Asian foods aisle. The jar is rather small and stays fresh for months in the fridge; lots of bang for your buck. The other key to this dish is the coconut rice. I have seen recipes for coconut rice before but had never tried it until now. It was simply delicious and my husband said "That rice melted in my mouth.” Indeed, it did and it is the perfect complement to the curry. In fact you may find the combination of texture and heartiness reminiscent of an etoufee; excellent comfort food! Also, one way to cut your grocery bill is to go meatless one or two days a week, and with chickpeas you get the meaty texture you are looking for without the costly price of meat! Winning! Enjoy this trip to Curry-land my friends. It really is right in your own backyard...I mean, kitchen.


Chickpea Curry with Coconut Rice (adapted from howsweeteats.com and budgetbytes.com)

For the rice:

1 1/2 c. jasmine rice

1 (15 oz.) can light coconut milk
3/4 t. salt
1 c. water

For the curry:


1 T. olive oil

6 green onions, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
2 t. salt, divided
1 t. pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. ground ginger
4 T. Thai red curry paste
8 oz. snow peas (snap peas would work too)
2 (15 oz.) cans light coconut milk
2 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 T. fresh cilantro, chopped

For the rice:


Place the rice in a medium saucepan then add the coconut milk, salt and water and stir to combine. Bring the contents to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid. Fluff with a fork and keep covered until the curry is ready.


For the curry:


Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Stir in the green onions, red peppers, 1 t. salt and pepper and stir to toss. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the vegetables have slightly softened. Add the garlic, ginger and curry paste and stir to coat. Cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the snow peas and coconut milk, bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, cilantro and remaining 1 t. salt and cook 5 minutes more. Taste and season additionally with salt and pepper if desired. Serve over coconut rice.


6 servings (487 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com)

2 comments:

Courtney and Drew said...

Hi Shelly,

So I made this yesterday afternoon with my 3 year old daughter. She absolutely loved all of the chopping and dumping of ingredients into the pan and watching it simmer and the colors change. About the time I added the ginger and cilantro, the herbs were so fragrant that she abandoned me but I finished the recipe and it was amazing. I will say, this is a great dish for lunch because it tastes better next day after the flavors infuse. This recipe was fun to make because every 5 minutes you are adding something and you don't have to rush at all, and there is really no "waiting" time. I think this would be a great dish to make as a couple on a date night or something.

Shel said...

Hi Courtney! I am so glad you liked the recipe enough to make it at home with your kiddo! I love that it is full of flavor, easy and vegetarian!