Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Who's ready for a mid-week pick me up? I know I am! Sometimes in life you just need a really good cookie: rich and chocolatey, one part brownie with a sultry hint of coffee. If this strikes a chord in your heart (and trust me, it should) these cookies are for you.

My sister made these for our families' Christmas and I seriously could not restrain myself. Who says delicious cookies have to end at Christmas? Not me! She found this delectable recipe from a bed and breakfast in Eureka Springs, Arkansas called Heartstone Inn. They have it posted on their Facebook page.

Last weekend my husband came home from work with an empty tin, with a big-time hint that they were going through some sort of Shel’s Kitchen treat withdrawal. Either that or he needed to boost his popularity around the office, so I figured these would be perfect. But after I decided to make them, I realized I didn't have any unsweetened baking chocolate on hand. Undaunted (and with serious cookie cravings) I took to the internet in search of a substitute (Google to the rescue!) Did you know that for every ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate you can substitute three tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder plus one tablespoon of oil (flavorless, please) and your recipe will still come out right? I was ecstatic! The substitution worked like a charm. I always have instant coffee on hand (I like to add it to brownies every once in a while) so I used it instead of instant espresso powder which can be pricey (and also was not in my pantry). The perfect treat at the end of the day with a glass of milk or for breakfast with a cup of coffee (who, me?) you need these cookies in your life.

Chocolate Espresso Cookies (very slightly adapted from Heartstone Inn)

3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate (No baking chocolate? No problem! Just substitute 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 T. oil for EVERY OUNCE of baking chocolate. Stir together until smooth and carry on as usual)
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3 large eggs
3 t. instant espresso powder (I used instant coffee)
1 c. + 2 T. sugar
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a heavy saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate (or substitute) with 1 c. chocolate chips and butter. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.

Beat eggs, espresso powder (or instant coffee) and sugar with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and light yellow. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, add to chocolate mixture and stir to combine using a rubber spatula. Add remaining chocolate chips and stir to combine. Chill. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until puffed and cracked on top. Remove from oven and cool 1 minute on baking sheet; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


48 cookies (89 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: