Monday, February 23, 2015

Mashed Cauliflower

Let's talk mashed potatoes for a minute. I realize mashed potatoes are a staple side dish in many homes across the country. In fact, they're such a staple it makes me feel almost un-American to say I don't make them very often. It's not that I don't like them or am opposed to them in any way, it's just that they aren't one of the first side dishes that come to mind. Crazy, I know, because I grew up eating mashed potatoes in many forms, like my mom's mashed potato casserole. Once, in all my 4-year-old brilliance and curiosity, I stuck my pinky finger in the middle of the steaming mass. What was I thinking?! You're right, I wasn't. I remember running cold water on my finger for what seemed like forever then going outside to ride my big wheel with my pinky finger wrapped in a bandage, holding it up like I was drinking high tea. So you see this subconscious aversion to mashed potatoes is quite possibly trauma-induced...which brings me to today's recipe:

A few years ago when the low-carb craze was sweeping the country, restaurants started offering mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Complete and utter genius, in my opinion! Just steam up some cauliflower, throw it in the food processor with a little bit of butter, cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper and whiz it up until it's smooth. Low-carb, low-calorie and low-guilt. You'll want to make this a mainstay side dish for years to come; just try to restrain yourself from sticking your finger in there and giving your mom a reason to feel guilty for the rest of her life.

Mashed Cauliflower

1 large head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
1/3 c. skim milk
2 T. unsalted butter
4 T. light cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the cauliflower in a 2 qt. microwave safe dish, add about an inch of water to the dish, cover with a paper towel and cook on high for about 10-20 minutes (depending on your microwave) stirring every 5-7 minutes. Once the cauliflower is fork tender remove it using a slotted spoon to the bowl of the food processor. Add the milk, butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper and pulse until the cauliflower is smooth and dreamy.

6 servings (94 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: