Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mexican Kale Salad

You may think Spring Break has thrown me off the calendar because I'm posting a “Taco Tuesday”-type recipe today. Let me assure you, I'm not. The reason I'm sharing this recipe today is because you need it in your life. This is yet another recipe that I've made twice in the last week. Once to go with our Chile Colorado Burritos last week and again this week for a surprisingly substantial lunch. I enjoy absolutely everything about this salad. From the bitter kale to the starchy hominy to the creamy avocado which makes an appearance AND the dressing, I could go on for hours (maybe it feels like I already have). It's extremely versatile too: if you don't like kale, use romaine; if you don't like hominy, use corn; you can use whatever onion and beans you have on hand. Just be sure to make the avocado dressing and toss it really well so it gets super creamy. I promise there will be no leftovers, and it's guilt-free, because it's SALAD! It's right there in the title, so I know I'm not confused about that.

Mexican Kale Salad (adapted from ifoodreal.com)

For the salad: 

5 oz. baby kale 
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can yellow hominy, drained
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
2 avocados, 1 1/2 chopped for the salad, the other half reserved for the dressing
1 large tomato, diced
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

For the dressing:

Remaining 1/2 avocado
2 T. olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 t. cumin
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In the bowl of a food processor combine all the dressing ingredients and pulse until smooth and creamy. Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately. 

8 side dish servings (211 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: