Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pesto Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I don't know about you but here in KC we're in this weird weather transition stage. If you live here you know what I mean; it could be 75 and sunny one day and 50 and drizzly the next. This is the time of year when you have to look at the forecast every day because mother nature is so finicky (she is a woman, after all). For me the unpredictable weather means I am in a food dichotomy as well because I want to be eating salads with fresh ingredients but I also want pasta and soup. This dish might be the perfect combo for the weather conundrum we're in. Pesto (yes, it's from a jar) with pasta, chicken sausage and brussels sprouts. Pesto is something I typically think of eating in the summer time. In fact, I like to make big batches and then freeze it to have on hand when I am in a winter slump. In this case I had run out of my winter stash however, there are some really great jarred options out there (including the basil pesto at Aldi) and that's what I used in this dish. Brussels sprouts, on the other hand are a decidedly fall and winter vegetable in my mind. If you don't like brussels sprouts, roasted asparagus would be an excellent (and spring-y!) substitute here. This is, quite possibly, the perfect dish for your seasonal confusion, assuming the seasons are confusing you like they are me. Mostly it's just an excuse to eat pasta which is never a bad thing!

Pesto Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts (very slightly adapted from gimmesomeoven.com)

1 lb. fresh brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and outer leaves removed then cut in half
2 T. olive oil, divided
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 lb. short pasta of your choice (penne, rigatoni, etc. I used pipe rigate)
4 fully cooked chicken sausage links (I used Johnsonville Three Cheese Italian Style)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. basil pesto
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese plus more for serving if desired

Preheat the oven to 400. In a large bowl mix together the brussels sprouts, 1 T. olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the brussels sprouts on it evenly. Roast for about 15-25 minutes depending on the size of your brussels sprouts. Mine were pretty tiny so they roasted only 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 c. of pasta cooking water before draining. Drain and set aside.

While the brussels sprouts and pasta are working heat the remaining 1 T. olive oil in a medium skillet and add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute more.

Once all components are cooked add the brussels sprouts, chicken sausage and pesto to the pot with the pasta and add the reserved pasta cooking water along with 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Divide the pasta among six bowls and serve with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan if desired.

6 servings  (546 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: