Monday, March 2, 2015

Stove Top Mac and Cheese

Need a cure for your case of the Mondays? I gotcha covered today! Yep, that's right you can sit back, relax and enjoy the ride because today is gonna be a great day. If you'll recall from my post this past Friday, last Monday I awoke at 5:45 a.m. with high expectations. I managed to get out of bed to do my Bible study before everyone else in the house got up, posted my blog, started laundry, ate breakfast in peace (can I get an amen?) and then...I went in to wake up my 5 year old. He was sick. And when I say sick I mean fever of 102, lethargic, headache, not going to preschool sick. There went my plans to go to the grocery store. Luckily I had a few leftovers of Mongolian Beef in my fridge from the night before and a few frozen pizzas in my freezer. Dinner for Monday and lunches for Tuesday were covered. Whew. Until...the 9 year old said "mom I don't LIKE frozen pizza." Did I mention he waited until I was heating up the oven to cook the frozen pizza at 5:15? When did he become such a little food snob anyway?! When I stepped back to think about it I realized that this kid rarely complains and, in fact, is always complimenting my food. I mean the kid calls me "Kitch" (short for kitchen) more than he calls me mom. I am not even joking. What's a mom to do? Make homemade mac and cheese, that's what. I had some elbow macaroni, half and half, velveeta and frozen diced onion in my freezer (never go without frozen onion friends, it's a lifesaver in situations such as these) so I said "would you like some mac and cheese?" to which I was served a big smile and a hug. Mom to the rescue! I was so pleased with the results that I had to share them here. I hope you'll make a pot tonight and cure your Monday (or frozen pizza) blues.

Stove Top Mac and Cheese

12 oz. elbow macaroni
1 T. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. paprika
12 oz. velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
2 T. unsalted butter
1 c. fat free half and half

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. While the pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat and saute the onion until softened and translucent. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Add the onions, velveeta, butter and half and half to the drained pasta and cook, stirring constantly over low heat until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

6 servings (420 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: