Friday, April 3, 2015

Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs

If there's one thing I repeat most often at Shel's Kitchen, it's these Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs. Eggs are a great go-to meal because I almost always have them on hand and they can be served simply, with buttered toast and fruit. I probably make these eggs at least once a week for breakfast, lunch or dinner and we never get tired of them. The secret to good scrambled eggs is cooking them low and slow, and stirring often. This means you cannot, on any uncertain terms, leave the kitchen while you cook them. I don't care what happens, do not walk away from these eggs. I'm not saying you can't be doing other things IN the kitchen but if you walk away there is a good chance your eggs will be ruined and you will cry. I'm speaking from experience. The other key to these eggs is simplicity. Just whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, and of course, crumbled goat cheese (I have also used cream cheese when I am in a pinch but no other cheese will do. Trust me). That's it! No milk or cream or any of that nonsense. Melt some butter in a small skillet, add the eggs, stir, stir, stir and you are good to go. The last thing to know is to remove the eggs from the skillet while they are still shiny and look luscious. If you cook them too long they will become dry and once again, you will cry (I'm so poetic). If you are making these eggs to accompany other things you are prepping, make the eggs last, and by last I mean dead last. These eggs must be eaten at the pinnacle of their freshness, which is immediately after they come out of the pan. So fry that bacon, butter that toast, bacon that butter, pour that coffee and have your fork ready because these eggs will not wait. In fact, I had a hard time even taking a picture because I wanted to dive in right away, but I did it for you because I love you. You're welcome. There's no doubt in my mind that if you make these eggs they will become a staple in your kitchen as well. Often simple food is some of the best.

Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs

4 large eggs
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. unsalted butter

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, goat cheese, salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and pour the eggs into the pan after it's melted. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook the eggs, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until they are scrambled and cooked through but not dried out, about 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.

2 servings (314 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: