Thursday, April 16, 2015

Lemon Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl

When I'm busy there's something about a light, refreshing, quick and easy dinner that can propel me right into the evening hours, giving me the strength to work on my third grade animal project. Wait, did I say my third grade animal project? Yes, I'm sure I did, and yes I'm sure that's what I mean. You know the deal, the poster should include the following: title including animal's name, pictures of the animal, facts about the animal etc. The only problem is, your nine-year-old is not capable of doing internet research on his own, downloading pictures to Costco to then be printed, nor can he drive himself to Costco to pick up the pictures. Nope, it's all you, baby. Forgive me but I feel like I've already done this third grade thing several years ago. It's like winning a prize you didn't really want - what's behind door number three? A life-consuming poster board! I am convinced that my mom is sitting over at her house reading this and laughing right now, because she can identify with this feeling. Years ago she had to repeat the third grade three separate times with myself and both my sisters. My son and I have spent the last several days gathering the supplies needed to accomplish this monumental task, and tonight and over the next couple nights we are going to knock this puppy out. That necessitates a dinner option that won't keep me in the kitchen very long. That's where this rice bowl comes in (stay with me, we'll get to the recipe eventually)! Just make a lemon-y and sweet sauce to pour over cooked chicken and broccoli (or whatever vegetable you prefer), serve over rice and you’ve got a delicious dinner in no time. Now if I could just get my third grader to understand the importance of cutting things straight and pasting them on the poster board neatly...

Lemon Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl (adapted from Cooking Light, January/February 2015)

1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
1 t. cornstarch
4 T. brown sugar
2 T. plus 2 t. rice wine vinegar
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 T. olive oil, divided
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 lb. broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
2 2/3 c. instant brown rice, cooked according to package directions

In a medium bowl whisk together the soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar and lemon juice then set aside. In a large skillet heat 1 1/2 t. of the olive oil over medium high heat and add the chicken breast pieces. Season with salt and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until the chicken pieces are cooked through and lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 t. olive oil in the same skillet and add the broccoli. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken and sauce to the pan and heat the sauce through, allowing it to thicken slightly, about 3-5 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

8 servings (294 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: