Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Drunken Beans

When my husband travels out of town with his band it can occasionally turn into ‘survival mode’ around my house. Moms, you know what I am talking about. Now that summer is upon us, the band gets busier and he travels more, or has multiple shows a day. At the end of March they road-tripped to Florida, so I made my go-to meal of tacos (quick, easy, everyone likes them) and these beans as a side dish. I have never looked back. They’re traditional, in the sense that they are cooked with onion, garlic, jalapeno, Mexican spices, lime juice, beer, cilantro...wait; did I just say beer? Yes, I'm sure I did. You will be amazed at the amount of flavor a little beer can bring to a simple can of beans. For this recipe I used Tallgrass Pub Ale, a rich, brown ale that really enhances the flavor of the beans. I let mine cook down for about 30 minutes to allow the beer to mellow and the beans to become thick and rich. Serve them for taco Tuesday, cookouts, or when tailgating this summer. Enjoy, and try to stay out of ‘survival mode’ as much as possible

Drunken Beans (adapted from gimmesomeoven.com)

2 pieces uncooked bacon, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves
6 oz. ale beer
2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 t. brown sugar
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. salt
1/4 t. cumin
Juice of 1 lime
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

In a medium saucepan cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate then add the onions and jalapenos to the pan. Saute the onions and jalapenos for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more. Add the beer, beans, brown sugar, oregano, chili powder, salt and cumin and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the beans are to your desired consistency. Just before serving add the lime juice and cilantro and stir to combine.

6 servings (131 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: