Thursday, September 26, 2013

Baked Apple Cider Donuts

It's fall, y'all!  I've been waiting to say that.  Hee hee.  I can think of nothing better than sitting on my couch with the windows open, cup of coffee in one hand and one of these cider donuts in the other.  Perfection!  Also, for me, this is a bit of a throwback.  See, when I was a kid my grandma made the most delicious (albeit fried) homemade glazed donuts.  We used to have donut parties at her house.  She would make the donuts from scratch, let them rise and then fry them three or four at a time while my mom stood across the way glazing each and every one as they came out of the oil.  Talk about perfection.  Anyway, these remind me of those times but I have way less guilt about eating them (well, I had no guilt about eating anything as a child but, you get my drift) AND they are so much easier and faster.  Enjoy!

Baked Apple Cider Donuts (adapted from thekitchn.com)

2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 T. flaxseed (or 1 egg)
3 T. water (if using flaxseed)
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. apple butter (use store bought or make your own)
1 t. vanilla extract
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. apple cider
1/3 c. plain yogurt
2 T. applesauce (or canola oil)
Powdered sugar for garnish

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray two (6 count) donut pans (you will have to bake these in batches because this recipe actually makes 16 donuts) with cooking spray and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In another large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (the wet ingredients), excluding the powdered sugar.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated.  

Spoon the batter into each donut mold until 3/4 full.  Bake for 10-12 minutes then cool on a wire rack.  Dust with powdered sugar and serve!

16 donuts (129 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: