Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chicken and Noodles

It's time to bring back Throwback Thursday!  Today I have a recipe for you that my grandma used to make for me when I was a kid.  I always thoroughly enjoyed going over to my grandparents' house when I was growing up.  One of the things I loved (not surprisingly) was the food they made.  Specifically, what they used to call "farm food."  Now, my grandma made this dish a little differently than I do.  She boiled a whole chicken, shredded the meat from the bone, put the chicken back in the pot and added the noodles.  Let's be realistic, sometimes you have time for stuff like that and sometimes, well, ain't nobody got time for that!  I cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with chicken broth, carrots and celery then cook and add the noodles just before serving.  You get the rich flavor from cooking it slowly in the crock pot without all the fuss and time spent shredding chicken!  I hope you enjoy!  P.S. this is one of the few times in my life that I use cream of mushroom soup from a can.  Don't judge me.  My grandma wouldn't have.....

Chicken and Noodles


1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 medium carrots, diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
Salt and pepper
3 c. low sodium chicken broth, divided
1 (10 oz.) can low fat (not fat free) cream of mushroom soup
12 oz. frozen Reames egg noodles

Place the chicken breasts in a 6 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Add the carrots and celery and season with salt and pepper (I use a lot of pepper because I like this dish fairly peppery.)  Pour 1 cup of the chicken broth over the chicken and veggies, cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.  Shred the chicken with two forks and add the cream of mushroom soup.  Cook the egg noodles in a large pot of salted water according to package directions, add to the chicken mixture along with the remaining chicken broth.  Taste for seasoning and serve!

6 servings (293 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: