Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sloppy Jose's

I'm sure you're wondering what's going on over here at Shel's Kitchen. Today is Thursday and I'm posting a Mexican recipe, which one would assume goes with ‘Taco Tuesday.’ What the heck, Shel? Before you grab your (pitch)forks and come after me, might I remind you today is ‘Throwback Thursday’ and here’s why I took that angle: I grew up eating sloppy Joe's on a regular basis. My mom always made them from scratch (none of that canned sloppy Joe sauce at our house, no sir!) which meant not only did they taste better and made us feel special, but impressed upon me the value in making dishes from scratch.
 
The concept is simple:  cook up some ground beef (ground chicken or turkey if you prefer), add remaining ingredients including salsa, Rotel tomatoes, black beans and corn (remember, we’re not going for a traditional style today), then pile it all on a bun with some cheese. These may not be the sloppy Joe's of your childhood but they can be the sloppy Jose's of your kids' childhood! I'm all about mixing it up, keeping it fresh and sharing the love. Napkins not included.

Sloppy Jose's (adapted from zitzmanfam.blogspot.com)

1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 c. salsa
1 (8 oz.) can tomato paste
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. white vinegar
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. frozen corn 
Buns and shredded cheese, for serving (I used Sara Lee 80 calorie wheat buns)

In a medium skillet brown the ground beef. Once cooked add the tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, black beans and corn. Place in a 4 qt. slow cooker and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Serve on buns topped with shredded cheese.

12 servings (189 calories each serving not including buns or shredded cheese) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: