Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I am a big fan of pizza in every form.  I don't care if it's really good gourmet pizza or the frozen kind out of a box.  I love it all.  It's a weakness of mine.  When I heard about making pizza crust out of cauliflower I was skeptical to say the least.  But, let me tell you, it works!  This pizza is so delicious and you will (probably) not be able to tell the difference.  Try it and let me know what you think.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust (adapted from detoxinista.com)

1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 c.)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c. reduced fat cream cheese
1 t. oregano
pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 400.  In the bowl of a food processor place the cauliflower, in batches, and pulse until it is the consistency of rice.  Fill a large pot with an inch of water and add the riced cauliflower.  Cook for 5 minutes and then drain in a fine mesh strainer.  Once it is drained, transfer the mixture to a clean dishtowel and allow to cool until you are able to handle it.  Once cooled, squeeze out as much water as possible, drying the cauliflower.  In a large bowl mix cauliflower, egg, cream cheese, oregano and salt and mix with your hands until well combined.  Press the dough onto a parchment lined (very important, DO NOT SKIP THE PARCHMENT!) baking sheet and shape into a pizza.  I made mine square and about 1/3" thick.  At this point, you could place the crust in the fridge and bake it off later.  If you choose to bake it now, bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown, like this:



Now it's time to add your toppings!  I made two pizzas (doubling the recipe above) - one for the adults and one more kid friendly.  Here's how I made it:

For the kid friendly one I did half pepperoni, half cheese:

Cover the entire pizza in 1/3 c. marinara or pizza sauce.  On half, place 4 oz. shredded pizza cheese only and on the other half place 2 oz. cheese, 15 slices of pepperoni and 2 more oz. cheese.  Bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.




For the more "gourmet" pizza I did half pesto chicken pizza and half buffalo chicken pizza.  Here's how I made them:

For the pesto chicken pizza you will need:

1 small clove garlic, smashed
1 1/2 t. extra virgin olive oil
1 small chicken breast, cooked and sliced into thin strips (I made two small chicken breasts which was enough for the entire pizza.  Just bake, seasoned with salt and pepper, at 375 for 35-40 minutes.)
2 oz. shredded pizza cheese
1 oz. parmesan cheese
2 T. basil, chiffonade (a fancy word for sliced) 

Rub 1/2 of the hot crust with the garlic clove.  With a pastry brush, spread the extra virgin olive oil over half of the crust.  In layers add, chicken breast, pizza cheese and parmesan cheese.  Bake an additional 5 minutes at 400 until cheese is melted and garnish with basil.  

For the buffalo chicken pizza you will need:

1 small chicken breast, cooked and sliced into thin strips (I made two small chicken breasts which was enough for the entire pizza.  Just bake, seasoned with salt and pepper, at 375 for 35-40 minutes.)
2T. Frank's Red Hot (or hot sauce of your choice)
2 oz. shredded pizza cheese
2 oz. blue cheese crumbles
2 green onions, finely chopped

Place chicken breast on 1/2 of the hot crust and sprinkle hot sauce over the chicken.  Add pizza cheese and blue cheese.  Bake an additional 5 minutes at 400 until cheese is melted and garnish with green onions.

I cut my pizzas in 16 small slices each and the crust is only 31 calories per slice according to my calculator on loseit.com!

The cheese pizza is 66 calories total per slice and the pepperoni pizza is 77 calories total per slice according to my calculator on loseit.com.
  
The pesto chicken pizza is 93 calories total per slice and the buffalo chicken pizza is 99 calories total per slice according to my calculator on loseit.com.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

Does the crust hold up or does it fall fall apart? I'm curious since you used cream cheese instead of goat cheese ( which is very similar in texture I guess)

jo

Shel said...

It did not fall apart at all! In fact we picked it up and ate it just like a regular pizza!