Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Green Salad with Hominy and Cilantro Lime Dressing

I love hominy.  Little pillows of corny goodness.  I remember eating hominy (cooked with WAY too much butter) at my grandma and grandpa's house when I was a kid.   I am always looking for new ways to prepare it and when I found this salad I knew I had a winner.  

Green Salad with Hominy and Cilantro Lime Dressing (adapted from yummly.com)

For the Salad:

1 (10 oz.) bag romaine lettuce
1 small head radicchio, cut into bite sized pieces
25 grape tomatoes, halved if they are large
1 (15 oz.) can yellow or white hominy, well drained
1/2 c. carrots, shredded or sliced 
3 green onions, sliced
1 small can sliced black olives

For the Dressing:

1 avocado
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 T. water
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. cilantro
1 clove garlic
1 t. salt

To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine until smooth.  Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing in a large bowl just before serving.

To prep ahead prep veggies for the salad and put in a large bowl with the lettuce on top (to keep it from getting soggy.)  Prep the dressing and store in the fridge.  Toss together just before eating.

Serves 4 (237 calories per serving according to my calculator on loseit.com)

No comments: