Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Turkey (or chicken, or beef) and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

I love enchiladas but sometimes I don't want to roll individual enchiladas.  I like to cook but I'm impatient!  Just ask my mother.  Ahem.  Anyway, a layered enchilada casserole just makes sense for me and I think you will like it too.

Turkey (or chicken, or beef) and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole (adapted from allrecipes.com)


1 1/3 lb. ground turkey (or chicken, or beef)
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. cilantro, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chiles
1 recipe enchilada sauce (recipe follows) OR 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 (8 oz.) container light sour cream

Preheat the oven to 375.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and saute the meat with the cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper until the meat is cooked through.  Stir in the cilantro, black beans and green chiles.


Spread half of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of a greased 9X13 baking dish.  Place 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping if necessary.  Spoon half of the meat mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Spread half of the sour cream over the cheese.  Spoon the remaining enchilada sauce over the sour cream and make another layer of tortillas.  Layer the remaining meat mixture, cheese and sour cream on top.  Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the foil and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


Enchilada Sauce


1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. each of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.  (This can easily be made while you cook the meat.)


This is a great make ahead!  I have made it more than once for people who have had surgery and babies (as indicated by the lovely foil pan in this picture) and stored it in my fridge.  It would probably also freeze well, although I've never tried it.


Serves 8 (297 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com (this will vary based on your choice of meat.  I used 93/7 ground turkey.)

No comments: