Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mo'Rockin'

I love African food.  Especially Moroccan and Ethiopian.  Here's a little nod to the Moroccan food I love and I promise, it is easy and accessible!  I made these recipes (all new to me) last night for dinner and I was so happy with the way they turned out I knew I had to share them with you today!  You are getting three recipes for the (low) price of one today.  Enjoy this meal!




Broiled Tilapia with Moroccan Chermoula Sauce (adapted from moroccanfood.com)

For the fish:

4 (5-6 oz.) tilapia filets
1/2 t. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

For the Chermoula Sauce:

1/2 large bunch cilantro

2 cloves garlic
1 T. paprika
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dried ginger
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. lemon juice (1 lemon)

For the fish:  Preheat the broiler.  Place the fish on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Broil 4" from the heat for 5-6 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork.


For the Chermoula Sauce:  Combine all ingredients in the food processor or blender and pulse to combine.  You want it fairly smooth.

After the fish is cooked, spoon 1/4 chermoula sauce over each piece and serve.

I made the chermoula sauce ahead and stored it in my fridge until time to eat.

Serves 4 (193 calories each serving including sauce) according to my calculator on loseit.com

Moroccan Brown Rice (adapted from jacksonville.com)

3 c. instant brown rice

2 medium sweet potatoes diced in 1/4" cubes
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. dried ginger
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. baby spinach

Cook brown rice according to package instructions.  Saute sweet potatoes and onion in olive oil until potatoes are cooked through and onions are translucent.  Add cumin, ginger, red pepper, black pepper and cinnamon to potato mixture.  Combine potato mixture and spinach with rice and serve warm.

I made this right before we ate it but I'm sure it would be fine to make it ahead and reheat it in the microwave.

Serves 6 (197 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

Moroccan Spicy Carrot Salad (adapted from allrecipes.com)


1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped

Place carrots, water, garlic, olive oil, paprika, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook until carrots are tender and the water evaporate, about 20 minutes.

Stir in lemon juice and cumin and allow to cool to room temperature.  Just before serving stir in cilantro.

This is a total make ahead!  I made it the afternoon we were going to eat it but you could certainly make it the night before and stick it in the fridge.  Just pull it out while you are cooking the rest of your dinner so it can come to room temperature.

Serves 4 (109 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

3 comments:

Brenda said...

How many servings & calories is this? What makes this so spicy? I would like it less spicy for me. Looks good!

Brenda said...

Also would like nutritional info on the fish, sauce and rice please.

Shel said...

Brenda, the crushed red pepper flakes add the heat. Cut it in half and see how you do!