Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta

Let me start out by saying, THIS IS NOT DIET FOOD!  If diet food is what you are looking for today, you are not gonna find it on Shel's Kitchen!  Now, let's move on to the delicious pasta recipe I have for you, okay?  I recently made this for a friend (because I'm too scared to have this sinful deliciousness in my own home) and the one bite I took sent me over the moon.  Please enjoy sparingly!

Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta (adapted from chef-in-training.com)

12 oz. penne pasta (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
1 (8 oz.) package reduced fat cream cheese
2 c. fat free half and half
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
2 small chicken breasts (about 1 lb.), cut in bite sized pieces and cooked (I sauteed mine in a little olive oil)
3/4 c. bacon, cooked and chopped
3/4 c. diced ham

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook pasta according to the package directions and drain.  Put the pasta in a greased 9X13 pan and set aside.

Heat cream cheese on the stove until melted and smooth.  Add the half and half, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and 1 c. of the swiss cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.  Add the parsley to the sauce.

On top of the pasta, layer the chicken, bacon and ham.  Pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. swiss cheese on top.  Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.

If you want to make this ahead (like I did for my friend and please excuse the ugly foil pan in the picture) you could just make it as written and store in the fridge until ready to eat.  Heat individual servings in the microwave or heat the entire casserole in a 350 oven for about 30-45 minutes.  Check the center to make sure it's hot!  This would probably freeze well too (although I've never tried it.)  Thaw completely before heating.

Serves 8 (560 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

4 comments:

Dash Interiors said...

Oh.My.Gosh! Love this!
Great blog here so excited to follow along!
Your newest fan,
Ashlee@ABpetie
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

Shel said...

Thank you Ashlee! This is super delicious! Glad to have you along!

Shel said...

You can find me on facebook too - look for Shel's Kitchen!

Brenda said...

How many servings & calories is this? I know gotta know because this looks so good!