Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing

I love caesar salad but I don't love all the calories that are in a really good caesar dressing.  See, normally it's made with egg yolks and a TON of extra virgin olive oil.  This recipe, however, uses plain Greek yogurt and only one tablespoon of oil!  All of the flavor without all of the guilt!  It is so good!  Try it soon, I promise you won't be disappointed!

Skinny Caesar Dressing (adapted from skinnytaste.com)

1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 small garlic clove
1 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
2 (1") squeezes anchovy paste (or 2 anchovy fillets)
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
5 T. fat free plain Greek yogurt
1/2 t. black pepper
Salt, to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.  Taste for seasoning and add salt as desired.  Recipe makes about 3/4 c. dressing and it is only 362 calories for the entire recipe!

For my caesar salad I like to use:

10 oz. romaine lettuce
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
14 croutons (yes, I'm that exact when I count them out!)
1 pint roasted cherry tomatoes (place the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Drizzle with 1 t. olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes start to burst.  Allow to cool before assembling the salad.)
1 recipe caesar dressing

Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately.

4 servings (201 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: