Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

This is one of my all time favorite soups!  I'll admit, when I first heard pumpkin, black bean and curry I was a little skeptical but my friend had made it for a book club meeting so I tried it.  I fell in love!  Even if you think you don't like curry you will like this soup.  The curry (and the cumin) add such a nice warmth and there is very little chopping involved (none if you buy frozen diced onion)!  Enjoy!

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 c. vegetable broth
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
1/2 c. fat free half and half
1 1/2 t. curry powder
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
2 t. salt

Heat a deep pot over medium heat and add the oil and onions.  Saute the onion for 10 minutes until tender.  Add the broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and add the half and half, curry powder, cumin, cayenne and salt.  Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, taste and add more salt of needed.

4 servings (285 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

1 comment:

Becca said...

This soup is also one of our favorites!